© Photo by Zvi Pfeffer
Lali Tsipi Michaeli is an Israeli poet. She immigrated from Georgia to Israel at the age of seven. Lali has published several poetry books. She participates in reading poetry in various places such as cafes and poetry festivals.
Her poems have been translated into various languages such as English, French, Italian, German, Georgian, Russian, Greek and Arabic, and have been published in literary journals. Michaeli was defined by Prof. Gabriel Moked as “Erotico-Urban Poet” in his book ” In real time” and considered innovative by critics.
Lali teaches Hebrew at Ben Gurion University. She has one son and lives in Tel Aviv by the sea.
Books by Lali Tsipi Michaeli:
- Lali’s poetry, Eked publishers, Tel Aviv, 1990
- Paint me ablaze, Carmel publishers, Jerusalem, 2008
- Frontwoman, Ahshav publishers, Tel Aviv, 2013
- Tractate of faces, Ahshav publishers, Tel Aviv, 2015
- The Mad House, Even Hoshen publication, Raanana, Israel, 2018
- Papa (Elegy), Even Hoshen publication, Raanana, Israel, 2019
- My Sectre lover, You [comming soon]
- Resitance, Poetry Anthology, edited by Lali Tsipi Michaeli, Tel Aviv, 2011
From the back cover of Tractate of Faces:
“The present book of Lali Michaeli considerably widens the contents and the forms of her poetry. The inner depth of her poems, as present now, and in her previous publications in AHSHAV, corroborate her image as Tel-Avivian erotico – urban poetess. Against the background of modern and post-modern city, Ms. Michaeli encounters different and complex aspects of reality.”
Prof. Gabriel Moked
The city of Tel Aviv
Even a lover could not let you leave
She will leave you one day
And you will stay in Tel Aviv.
The City with curved legs,
Which squints at shapely cities
You take her as a model
And begin sketching her ’til the desired slit
Which leaves you out of the picture
And lets you look but not touch
As far as the pert nipple
And the edge of the canvas
© Translated from Hebrew by Michael Simkin
Published with the permission of Lali Tsipi Michaeli